If you have just bought, or are contemplating purchasing, a powerboat then this professionally produced training video, with just under one hour’s running time, help save you from making costly mistakes and keep you and your crew safe at sea.
Made with the co-operation of the Royal Yachting Association, the Royal National Lifeboat Institution and the Maritime and Coastguard Agency, this professionally produced, hour-long, training video will show you:
- How to find the powerboat that exactly meets your needs.
- The vital differences between different types of hulls, engines and fuels.
- Techniques for handling your boat safely at speed.
- Berthing confidently and easily in a crowded marina.
- The most common mistakes made by new owners and how to avoid them.
- The equipment needed before taking your boat out for the first time.
- Safety precautions to ensure you and your crew avoid danger.
Filmed on location at Brighton Marina, directed by Tony Cornford and again featuring Royal Yachting Association’s Advanced Instructor Jack Jackson.
I discuss my own boating mishaps at Brighton Marina.
Please note that, since this video was made, the communication changes mentioned in my discussion with Maritime and Coastguard Agency Sector Officer Terry Woodward have come into force. Digital Selection Calling (DSC) is now a fact of marine life. This is part of the Global Maritime Distress Safety System (GMDSS). Full details of current equipment, licence requirements for vessels operating in UK waters (i.e. up to 12 miles off-shore) and distress procedures can be found on the excellent Royal Yachting Association’s web-site: http://www.rya.org.uk/
Please also note that the RYA phone number given at the end of the video has also changed and is now 020380 644 100. Their address is RYA House, Ensign Way, Hamble, Hants S031 4YA